– This is one of those movies where if you have never seen it or hate it, you are probably reading the wrong blog.
– I remember when this movie came out and the lifting forums exploded, both in good ways and bad. The good… the movie was bad ass and cool as fuck. The bad… crossfit and photoshop abs. I can’t remember how many threads I asking how to get ripped like the 300. But I digress.
– The movie is bad ass crammed into 2 hours. In short, Persians are about to invade Sparta, King Leonidas says fuck that shit. Asks the “elders” for permission to raise the army. He is denied and King Leonidas again says fuck that shit. He takes 300 soldiers to fight the massive Persian Empire at the Hot Gates. And then people (well more people) die.
– This movie started the stylized fighting, slow-motion thing we see in other movies such as The Immortals nowadays. But when I go back to this movie I still think it was done better here. I don’t know if that is nostalgia talking or if that type of action just fit this movie. Whatever the reason, it was awesome then and still awesome now.
– I love the “style” of the movie. They embraced this was fiction and not a history lesson and ran with it. Makes for a fun movie.
Pros, cons, and spoilers after the jump. .
– Letting the humpback go = fail. They mention the battle formation but most of the movie they were free styling with swords. – I understand the “make him bleed” part… but you bleed from a spear to the chest just as easily lol. – I think, if I remember right, this movie started the crossfit craze. Damn it.
– This movie was landmark in its action and has been copied over and over for good reason. The style of this movie was awesome.
– Action action action. All bad ass, nothing repetitive. – King Leonidas was a bad ass.
– Loved the look of the movie. They didn’t try and keep it realistic and the look of the movie helped hammer that point home.
– Plot was simple but good. The movie knew what it was and stayed true to it.
– Loved how the movie was narrated from one of the soldiers who lived.
– It gave us numerous fun memes. Always a plus.
Immortals… we put their name to the test. Then we will fight in the shade. Madness…? This is Sparta! Spartans! Ready your breakfast and eat hearty… For tonight, we dine in hell! Give them nothing! But take from them everything!
– An undercover pro: this movie allows you to recognize idiots and people to avoid easily. I am talking about the fucktards that go “that isn’t how the history really was!!!” Well no shit you mouth breathing douschebag. It was a story, based off a novel. It never intended to be an accurate historical account. If you want that, go watch the shitty History channel.