People on Craigslist must not like money.
After striking out on looking for ads, I just decided to put a “wanted” add on Craigslist. My add stated I was looking for a 75-150 gallon aquarium with a stand and glass tops. I also stated that if interested, send me tank dimensions and a picture of the tank and anything else it comes with.
And it worked! I started getting emails the very next day! But, let us take a look at the emails…
#1: hey I got a large tank! Are you interested?
– Notice, that this email tells me nothing. Large is very, very relative. As my wife what is large and she will say 30 gallons. Go to monsterfishkeepers.com and they will say 500+. I reply back asking for dimensions, how much it cost, ect
#1: Oh sorry! it is 36 inches by 12 inches! A beautiful tank! What do you think it is worth?
– AND, that is why you ask for dimensions. That is a 30ish gallon tank. I tell her that is a bit small for me but thanks for your interest.
#1: Oh sorry! My daughter has another tank she is trying to get rid of, I will ask her how big it is!
– I never got another response back. Meh, oh well, never got my hopes up on that one.
#2: I got a tank for $250. (Gives dimensions for a 125). Interested? My number is (enter number)
– Yep, interested. Emailed back and forth trying to get a picture but keeps saying the tank is at his GF’s house. Ok whatever, just get the picture.
#2: Tank is at my GFs I will send a picture.
– Then… no response. Well fuck. So I text the number he gave me…
#2: Who is this? I don’t have a tank available.
– FUCK. WTF? Apparently it is the wrong number? What is going on here. I email him back asking what the fuck is going on.
#2: Yes this is a real ad. Hey, you can just come back the place and look at the tank.
– Umm… what? In this age when everyone has a camera phone… you want me to just show up and look at the tank instead? No thanks Jeff, I don’t like being raped. ABORT.
#3: Hey man, it is your lucky day. I have a 90 gallon tank full set up for $100 I just need it out this weekend
– Yep, sure, send me a pic and I can have it out.
#3: No response, never here from him again. wtf?
I had one promising one in the middle of a bunch of crap. The guy emailed me, I texted him, he sent me a picture back, looks nice, exactly what I was looking for. Cost is $250, which isn’t too bad. Told him I could pick it up the weekend of the 4th and then… he went no contact on me.
I am not sure if he is just busy or what? I still have hope for this one so we will see.