At the recent Comi Con, Marvel studios announced movie dates until early 2019. Here are the dates and the movies that are 100% confirmed…
May- Avengers: Age of Ultron
May- Captain America 3
July- Guardians of the Galaxy 2
Lots of thoughts and guessing and speculation after the jump
– So, the first thing that jumps out is that Marvel is moving to 3 movies a year in 2017 and it is likely to stay there unless the comic book movie bubble bursts.
– Marvel has stated that they like to alternate new and established properties. So, we can use that knowledge to start guessing and speculating a bit. There are 7 unknown spots at the moment so…
– The July slot in 2016 is going to be Dr. Strange unless something weird happens. There is a director already in place and it will follow the established Captain America. So, we can probably pencil that in for sure, leaving us with 6 dates.
– We know Avengers 3 will be one of those days. It will either be May 2019 or May 2018. Avengers will be on a May date for sure as that has become the date for Marvel. I guess it really depends on how many movies they want in between Avengers 2 and 3. If they want a bigger roster, 2019 makes the most since. But, if they want to use Avengers 3 to launch some new heroes (since a lot of contracts are running out with Avengers 3) then 2018 makes more sense. Either way… 5 dates left.
– Thor 3 will definitely take one of the dates as it is already slowly being developed. The “When” part is interesting though. It was in November and did well, although not Cap2 and GoG well. Was it because of the (relatively) weak movie in comparision or because of the November date? It is a wild card movie at the moment. They will need the estabilished property in 2018 if Avengers is being pushed to 2019. If Avengers is in May 2018, then it has to happen before or after GoG2. Either way, that leaves 4 dates left.
– It is at this point we get into pure speculation. All the other movies are confirmed, but we just don’t know when. From here, we start naming names… Ms. Marvel, Hulk 2, Black Panther, Inhumans, Iron Man 4?? This sounds nuts but Marvel is running out of feature characters, especially since you can eliminate the Netflix group (Daredevil, Luke Cage, Jessica Jones, and Iron Fist) and then likely eliminate some established heroes that don’t seem to fit the current brand (such as Ghost Rider, Punisher, Blade) and some limbo characters due to rights issues (Spider-Woman, Namor)… I am not sure who else I could name that could actually hold a film? Black Widow? Hawkeye? She-Hulk?
– I really think Iron Man gets a 4th movie. I think Disney will want the money and pay up RDJ. They need at least one more headliner if Avengers is pushed back to 2019. And there is always the REAL Mandarine to use. So we will say 3 movies left.
– Black Panther makes too much sense not to have his own movie. Vibranium has been introduced. Vibranium is going to be in the spotlight even more with Ultron. If they hint at Wakanda again in Age of Ultron, then we will know a Black Panther movie is coming. And it should. So… 2 movies left.
– Inhumans are getting a push in the comics. Ms. Marvel is probably the biggest powerhouse woman character. And Hulk is just popular and is the only main Avengers member without a sequel. If I had to guess, I would say Ms. Marvel and Hulk get films. I don’t know if they could do another space type team up book with Inhumans. Especially with a lead character (Black Bolt) who cannot talk. Seems complicated.
So, I will guess it ends up looking something like this… and likely be completely wrong.
2015– Avengers: Age of Ultron, Ant-Man
2016– Captain America 3, Doctor Strange
2017– Thor 3, Guardians of the Galaxy 2, Ms. Marvel
2018– Iron Man 4, Black Panther, Hulk 2
2019– Avengers 3