Two of Marvels OGs, Thor and Captain America, are getting third movie during Phase 3. Both were expected to get a third movie considering the profits made (especially Captain America) but it was nice to get confirmation. The subtitles given to these movies help us define what is going to happen even more as they are both the names of some pretty important comic book arcs/stories.
Let’s start with Thor: Ragnarok…
– Thor: The Dark World underwhelmed a bunch of people and money wise, was underwhelming when compared to The Winter Soldier and Guardians of the Galaxy. Sure, I loved it, but I am a Thor fan through and through. So I am looking forward to this movie big time.
– The very, very basic Ragnarok storyline is this basically, the fall of Asgard. It is a cycle of death of Asgard and the rebirth of Asgard afterwards. In the comics, Ragnarok is brought on by the release of Surtur the fire demon and the creation of the Twilight sword (think a super powered Balrog with a giant fucking sword) as he marches his fire demons into Asgard (and Earth) to destroy it essentially. Surtur is as strong if not stronger than Odin. In the comics, Loki is the one that started this (with Malekith I think) so it will be curious to see how this all works with Loki impersonating Odin right now.
– Kevin Feige, the MCU architech, says this moving is going to have massive reprocussions on future story lines and Thor, doing what The Winter Soldier did for Captain America and the larger MCU (destroying SHIELD). To me, this HAS to mean this movie leads to Thanos acquiring the Tesseract and the Gauntlet (both in the Asgardian vaults) and likely has Thor take his place as King of Asgard with Odin being killed off with Surtur. This solves two problems for Marvel. (1) This gives Thor an out from not appearing in one of the Infinity War movies (due to his responsibility of rebuilding Asgard) and (2) Starts the process of Thanos actually aquiring the Infinity Stones since at the moment, all he has done is lose one of them (the scepter) and failed to acquire any of them.
– What likely happens I would guess… Loki releases Surtur (or Thanos does) on Asgard as a distraction to get the Tesseract and/or the Gauntlet to Thanos (Loki is likely still working for Thanos at this point). Fire demons may or may not be sent to Midgard/Earth as well. Odin and Thor defend Asgard, with Odin dying to stop Surtur and Thor now being King. The Gauntlet and Tesseract is lost in the destruction (as well as Loki likely getting away), starting the process of Thanos actually collecting the Infinity Stones.
– We know Loki survives as we have heard he is going to be in Avengers: Infinity War. Is he going to switch back to the good side in Infinity War or is he one of Thanos’s generals? Who knows at this point with Loki.
– One thing I hope Marvel learned from Guardian of the Galaxy’s success… we don’t need Earth in a cosmic movie. Thor 3 can entirely be set in the other 9 realms and people will still come in droves if the movie is good. Please, end the Jane Foster stuff… it isn’t needed for this storyline.
Captain America: Civil War is getting much, much more press than Thor: Ragnarok and for good reason. (a) The Winter Soldier was one of the best comic book movies ever and the same directors are coming back. (b) Civil War is an iconic storyline in the comics. (c) Tony Stark is going to be in the movie. So, what could this all mean really and what do we know?
– Civil War in the comics had mostly to do with the Super Hero Registration Act and the “end” of secret identities. Obviously, there are no secret identities in the MCU so that won’t be part of this. I imagine, there will be some sort of government law or act or attempt to control the super hero… Tony Stark will go along with it to some extent while Cap will not. Leading to fun times.
– From the very beginning in Avengers, there was tension between Captain America and Tony Stark. In Age of Ultron, apparently that tension is going to multiply.
– RDJ being in this movie plus the movie being the first big movie after Age of Ultron (sorry Ant-Man) means it is going to do a billion dollars easily. This is going to be like a mini-Avengers movie.
– Oh… and T’challa/Black Panther is going to be in the movie. How? Why? I am not really sure. Does the world get involved with this act instead of just the United States and Wakanda/T’challa supports Steve Rogers? This will be interesting to see how big of a role Black Panther plays in this movie.
– Hawkeye has also been confirmed in this movie. I would assume he would be on Stark’s side (someone needs to be).
– And how many other heroes are going to show up? Quicksilver? Witch? Widow? Vision? Fury? Falcon?
– And what happens to the Winter Soldier story line now? Most people Cap 3 would be a continuation of the Winter Soldier stuff + someone like Zemo to act as the villain. But with Civil War now becoming the focus… what happens to that?
– Is there even going to be a central REAL bad guy?