So this is it. Ever since the reveal of Thanos at the end of The Avengers, the MCU has been slowly building to this… Infinity War. The event will be so big, it will actually be two movies.
We got teased by the Infinity Gauntlet in Odin’s Vault in Thor. We got teased by Thanos in The Avengers. We actually heard and saw Thanos in Guardians of the Galaxy. So, let the speculation begin…
– We have seen four of the six Infinity Stones in the movies so far and the Infinity Gauntlet…
— Tesseract- In Asgard under the protection of Odin (Loki)
— Gauntlet- In Asgard under the protection of Odin (Loki)
— Aether- Last seen with The Collector, although his house went boom in Guardians of the Galaxy
— Scepter- Last seen with Baron von Strucker of Hydra in the after credit scene of The Winter Soldier.
— Orb- On Xandar under the protection of the Nova Crops as seen in Guardians of the Galaxy.
So we need two more. There are plenty of movies to introduce the last two with Dr. Strange, Guardians of the Galaxy 2, Infinity War Part 1, and Inhumans being prime candidates.
– Big Question #1… when is Thanos going to you know… actually collect the Stones? So far, not only has he failed to collect any Stones but he actually lost one (Scepter). Thor: Ragnarok sounds like a good place to start collecting the Stones and Gauntlet (especially if Loki is still working for the Mad Titan). Will they use Infinity War Part 1 to continue the collection as well?
– Big Question #2… how many Avengers will show up in this War? And how many will show up in BOTH movies? It seems highly likely that the originals with solos- Stark, Cap, Thor- will only show up in one of the movies as their contracts will end then. But, at that point in the movies, you will have the following Avengers/Heroes available…
— Iron Man
— Captain America
— Black Widow
— Nick Fury
— Maria Hill
— Scarlet Witch
— Star Lord
— War Machine
— Black Panther
— Captain Marvel
— Dr. Strange
and then add in potential Avengers such as Winter Soldier, any other members that show up in Guardians of the Galaxy 2, any members of TV show Agents of SHIELD (Coulson, Mockingbird, ect), AND it could include any of the Netflix heroes if they really wanted too (Luke Cage, Iron Fist, Jessica Jones, Daredevil). Frankly… there is a huge potential list of heroes to show up but how may is Marvel really going to want to pay? And who might potentially be killed?
– Why is Loki going to be in this movie? Is he going to help the Heroes? Is he still working for Thanos? If he is… I would 100% expect him to flip sides at least once or twice.
– So… what do you do after a movie this big? What villain can compare to an omnipotent Thanos hell bent on destroying everything? The story cannot get bigger at that point. You would have to scale back. Do they go with a time traveling story with Kang? Get the Earth based villains together with Masters of Evil? It will be very, very interesting what happens after all this.