1) Shoulder are the worst joints ever
– What a shitty, shitty joint. It is too mobile, it isn’t made to bear weight, it is controlled by your cervicothoracic spine which gets murdered in modern life (computers, cell phones, driving, sitting, sitting, sitting), they get murdered by sleeping on your side… FUCK.
I have had issues with both of mine… the right one got so bad I almost quit lifting years ago (but is pretty good now). Now it is my right ones turn. It has gotten a lot better but still reminds me everyone once in a while how shitty the joint is.
2) Sometimes, you just have to back the fuck off injury wise
– When I hurt my left shoulder, it hurt it pretty good, although it just seems like annoying tendinitis/capsulitis and not anything “labrum” scary. So, I did what any good doctor/lifting/interneter did… started rehabbing it immediately!
Graston, Rock Tape, massage, stretching, mobility, stability… I did it all! All it managed to do is keep it really pissed the fuck off.
Some injuries are simply overuse and to get them to calm down you need to under-use them. AFTER the initial acute pain is gone, then it is time to start treating the dysfunction causing the pain. Especially with really shitty joints like shoulders are.
It wasn’t until I just fucking stop did my shoulder start to feel good-ish. Then I focused on upper back mobility only because I am beginning to believe that stretching shoulder, the most mobile joint in the body, is really fucking stupid.
3) My upper back is/was holding back my bench
– Since I well, couldn’t do any pressing with my shoulder (or could only do very very little) I focused a ton on my upper back and external rotators. Poliquin says your DB ER for the shoulders should be a certain percentage of your bench so… sure why not I couldn’t do anything else.
Lo and behold… I think it is what got my bench stronger/maintained strength despite… not training bench. I recently hit 315×1 with a pause @9. Just did 275×4 with a 3ct pause which ties a PR… but I did 275x3x2 right before. The weight has not felt heavy despite not lifting heavy, which is odd for me.
My upper back stuff has centered around tried and true shit too… rear delt flyes with DB’s, band pull aparts for high rep rest pause sets, ditto for band face pulls, RJorg curls (look them up), hammer curls, band upright rows to shoulder ER, and seated DB shoulder ext rotations. Nothing fancy. Just making myself do it 3 times a week. And I feel it really helped.
My favorite workout finishers, every day, are upper back rest paused movements with bands. Band Pull Aparts, Band Face Pulls, Band Upright Rows to ER. I rest pause those things for a required rep (50-100 usually).
Hat tip to Scott (www.thetraininggrind.com) for the rest pause tip… I think I saw him post about it before.