Well its official. No, we don’t know 100% of the details but Spider-Man will officially be introduced to the Marvel Cinematic Universe!
This has been a long time coming. Spider-Man is in the top 3 most known super heroes in the whole world. He is easily Marvel’s top dog and has been well… for a long ass time. He appeals to kids, adults… everyone. He has one of the best and most known rogue galleries in comics period (only one better is Batman) including the likes of Green Goblin, Hobgoblin, Rhino. Doc Ock, Vulture, Venom, Carnage, The Jackal, Kraven the Hunter, Sandman, ect ect. Could we possibly have Goblin/Norman show up in say… an Avengers movie? Possibly Dark Reign? We can only hope…
And now we might actual get a good movie franchise for him. To be honest, I am not the biggest Spider-Man fan. His cartoon used to be awesome as a kid and his comics are sometimes epic… but I don’t follow his comics much anymore and his movies have been completely average in my view. Yes, even the beloved Toby Spider-Man. The reboot has been super hit or miss.. juggling between awesome and downright cringe worthy. So giving SOME control to Marvel is bound to improve things overall.
It also gives us a chance to see Spidey interact with the rest of the MCU, which could be cool as well. Could he be leading the Avengers after Infinity War? Maybe. Will this halt Sony’s desperate attempt at a Spidey Universe with the likes of “female spider-mans” and Sinister Six? We can only hope.
So where is what we do know in regards to the deal. And right now, I am only going to be positive because honestly, this news comes with some huge draw backs in my eyes.
1. Spider-Man will likely first appear in Captain America: Civil War. So, with the success of Winter Soldier + Iron Man in the movie + being post Age of Ultron + Spider-Man.. this movie is guaranteed to do over a billion dollars.
2. A new, rebooted Spider-Man will come July 27, 2017, moving Thor 3 from it spot and shifting everything forward.
3. Spider-Man is going back to high school and Garfield is OUT. That whole universe is out… we think.
The next article will go over why this news fucking sucks….
I can honestly say I did not read a single thing on the internet this week that stayed with me long enough to bother and link over here. Holy crap, I wonder how much of my life I wasted online this week for… aboslutely nothing?
Two of Marvels OGs, Thor and Captain America, are getting third movie during Phase 3. Both were expected to get a third movie considering the profits made (especially Captain America) but it was nice to get confirmation. The subtitles given to these movies help us define what is going to happen even more as they are both the names of some pretty important comic book arcs/stories.
Let’s start with Thor: Ragnarok…
– Thor: The Dark World underwhelmed a bunch of people and money wise, was underwhelming when compared to The Winter Soldier and Guardians of the Galaxy. Sure, I loved it, but I am a Thor fan through and through. So I am looking forward to this movie big time.
– The very, very basic Ragnarok storyline is this basically, the fall of Asgard. It is a cycle of death of Asgard and the rebirth of Asgard afterwards. In the comics, Ragnarok is brought on by the release of Surtur the fire demon and the creation of the Twilight sword (think a super powered Balrog with a giant fucking sword) as he marches his fire demons into Asgard (and Earth) to destroy it essentially. Surtur is as strong if not stronger than Odin. In the comics, Loki is the one that started this (with Malekith I think) so it will be curious to see how this all works with Loki impersonating Odin right now.
– Kevin Feige, the MCU architech, says this moving is going to have massive reprocussions on future story lines and Thor, doing what The Winter Soldier did for Captain America and the larger MCU (destroying SHIELD). To me, this HAS to mean this movie leads to Thanos acquiring the Tesseract and the Gauntlet (both in the Asgardian vaults) and likely has Thor take his place as King of Asgard with Odin being killed off with Surtur. This solves two problems for Marvel. (1) This gives Thor an out from not appearing in one of the Infinity War movies (due to his responsibility of rebuilding Asgard) and (2) Starts the process of Thanos actually aquiring the Infinity Stones since at the moment, all he has done is lose one of them (the scepter) and failed to acquire any of them.
– What likely happens I would guess… Loki releases Surtur (or Thanos does) on Asgard as a distraction to get the Tesseract and/or the Gauntlet to Thanos (Loki is likely still working for Thanos at this point). Fire demons may or may not be sent to Midgard/Earth as well. Odin and Thor defend Asgard, with Odin dying to stop Surtur and Thor now being King. The Gauntlet and Tesseract is lost in the destruction (as well as Loki likely getting away), starting the process of Thanos actually collecting the Infinity Stones.
– We know Loki survives as we have heard he is going to be in Avengers: Infinity War. Is he going to switch back to the good side in Infinity War or is he one of Thanos’s generals? Who knows at this point with Loki.
– One thing I hope Marvel learned from Guardian of the Galaxy’s success… we don’t need Earth in a cosmic movie. Thor 3 can entirely be set in the other 9 realms and people will still come in droves if the movie is good. Please, end the Jane Foster stuff… it isn’t needed for this storyline.
Captain America: Civil War is getting much, much more press than Thor: Ragnarok and for good reason. (a) The Winter Soldier was one of the best comic book movies ever and the same directors are coming back. (b) Civil War is an iconic storyline in the comics. (c) Tony Stark is going to be in the movie. So, what could this all mean really and what do we know?
– Civil War in the comics had mostly to do with the Super Hero Registration Act and the “end” of secret identities. Obviously, there are no secret identities in the MCU so that won’t be part of this. I imagine, there will be some sort of government law or act or attempt to control the super hero… Tony Stark will go along with it to some extent while Cap will not. Leading to fun times.
– From the very beginning in Avengers, there was tension between Captain America and Tony Stark. In Age of Ultron, apparently that tension is going to multiply.
– RDJ being in this movie plus the movie being the first big movie after Age of Ultron (sorry Ant-Man) means it is going to do a billion dollars easily. This is going to be like a mini-Avengers movie.
– Oh… and T’challa/Black Panther is going to be in the movie. How? Why? I am not really sure. Does the world get involved with this act instead of just the United States and Wakanda/T’challa supports Steve Rogers? This will be interesting to see how big of a role Black Panther plays in this movie.
– Hawkeye has also been confirmed in this movie. I would assume he would be on Stark’s side (someone needs to be).
– And how many other heroes are going to show up? Quicksilver? Witch? Widow? Vision? Fury? Falcon?
– And what happens to the Winter Soldier story line now? Most people Cap 3 would be a continuation of the Winter Soldier stuff + someone like Zemo to act as the villain. But with Civil War now becoming the focus… what happens to that?
– Is there even going to be a central REAL bad guy?
I was on a random, Indiana Pacers blog discussing the Avengers movie and bitching that the Black Panther still hasn’t had a movie when someone posted 30 seconds later…
“Marvel just announced a Black Panther movie.”
I swear, my heart may have stopped a bit. I immediately raced to comicbookmovies.com to make sure I wasn’t being trolled. And sure enough, there was a post saying essentially, “Marvel announces next slate of movies.” I clicked the post and raced down to find “Black Panther” in the list.
And there it was!
I was so excited I didn’t even read to see the rest of the announcements. I immediately just raced to the CBR forum Black Panther Appreciation thread to celebrate and start talking about the movie immediately. It was only then I started reading about the other movies and about the details of Black Panther.
T’challa/Black Panther is simply my favorite comic book super hero. Priest’s run is one of my favorite comic book runs ever. The Client and Enemy of the State are two of my favorite arcs ever. Liss’s run was fantastic. Seeing T’challa front in center during Hickman’s New Avenger/Avenger/Time Runs Out run could potentially be T’challa’s shining moment (once the rebuilding starts and the deconstruction ends). T’challa in Earth’s Mightiest Heroes was easily one of the highlights of the show.
Simply put… a genius, ninja, master strategist, King of an fictional African Warrior Nation that just happens to be the most advanced nation in the world who is also a super hero? DAT IS IT MANE!
After the jump, less fan boy ramblings and more facts and thoughts on what we actually know about the Black Panther in the MCU…
DC went and announced their schedule, effectively bringing ALL of the attention on them (and away from Downey Jr saying he would be in Cap 3). And for good reason… Justice League is the most famous of all super hero teams, Wonder Woman is the comic book heroine, and well… it looked like DC finally had a PLAN in regards to the DC movie universe. Sure… I did not like all of that plan (Erza Miller? Cyborg? Shazam?) but at least it was something.
It seems Marvel did not approve of the attention not being only on them. First, they released the Age of Ultron trailer (after it was leaked) which effectively made people go “who is DC” and focus only on the fact that Ultron seems terrifying.
And then Marvel said there would be more on Tuesday. Most of us expected maybe a new scene in Age of Ultron. Maybe some details on Captain America 3.
We got more than we expected. We essentially got EVERY SINGLE movie announcement in Phase 3… including some fan favorites that we have been clamoring and begging for.
So here is what was announced. Just a quick post for scheduling… I expect to go over more of these in later posts… some of them are worthy of their own posts all together. All other things are put on hold at this point because.. MARVEL WINS THE INTERNET!
So, here is the new movie slate for Marvel…
Avengers: Age of Ultron
Captain America: Civil War
Guardians of the Galaxy 2
Avengers: Infinity War Part 1
Avengers: Infinity War Part 2
And then Marvel released an extended trailer… that has some Marvel trademark humor and because of it, makes the serious stuff more serious. Epic Epic Epic
LOL at Thor’s face when Rogers moves the hammer a bit…
Weightlifting, Movies, Comics, Fish, and whatever else pops in my head